5/17/11
Spider
By Holly R. Appling


Here lies a spider in its infinity.
Its myth spirals out the web,
Last hours catapult off taut silk
Like laughter, like an Arabian


Stallion gallop into a hereafter.
You are a certainty, black spider –
Your stiff little body a stalwart
Rock from which suicidals jump.


You are a premonition & the most
Pure death I have yet to witness.
Your mouth haunts, still open & wet.
I take a look closer & there –


Your lip & cheek are still warm.
The long throat embalmed –
I lower my ear to your fang,
I kneel & hear faint noise.


Like a child crouched on the beach,
I listen to ocean in a speckled shell –
I kneel closer until I recognize
A scream deep inside the pearl.

The sound hurts my eyes like
Unrestrained sunlight, its angles
Clang at my chest like guns
& swords swinging in an arsenal –


Yet, I gulp of its sulphur.
I taste its pure bronze.
I fear my own death will come
When this first kiss ends –

Then there is a low drum beat
Against flat wood, the coffin
Rocks a little, more knocking,
Someone is still alive inside —


Well, a sip of poison in haste?
In the havoc of love & hate,
They distill to a rose in water
So generations know their story –


In the end, there are no tears.
Celestial bees seal the tomb
With honey, wire a surreal fuse
& set the eternal clock –


Lightning strikes at the dawn.
Cloud butterflies haul down
The abandoned web, all work
Amidst an aura & sweet music —


- - -
Holly R. Appling lives in Canada. Her poems have appeared in QWERTY, Carousel, The Writer's Spot, Leaf Press and will be upcoming in Jabberwocky 6. More of her writing is at www.hollyappling.wordpress.com.
0 Responses



Help keep Weirdyear Daily Fiction alive! Visit our sponsors! :)



- - -
  • .

    TTC
    Linguistic Erosion Yesteryear Daily Fiction Smashed Cat Magazine Classics that don't suck! Art expressed communally. Farther Stars Than These Leaves of Ink Poetry
    Pyrography on reclaimed wood Resource for spiritual eclectics and independents.
  • .

    Home
    About Weirdyear
    Submission Guidelines
    Get Readers!
    HELP! :) Links
    The Forum

    PAST WEIRDNESS

    PREVIOUS AUTHORS


    Support independent writers! Take a look at our sponsors! :)